More than 70 chemical companies call North Alabama home. The first chemical companies arrived in the early 1950’s and the industry has continued to grow. This cluster has formed because of several critical advantages the region offers:
- Permitting: The Alabama Department of Environmental Protection (ADEM) offers one-stop permitting to new and expanding companies. ADEM has an office dedicated to working economic development projects in a timely and direct manner.
- Environmentally Capable: There are no non-attainment areas in North Alabama.
- Chemical Friendly: With more than 70 chemical companies already in the area, residents understand and support the industry.
- Abundant Water Supply: North Alabama features 202 navigable miles of the Tennessee River. Several industrial river sites are available.
- Low Utility Rates: Power is generated by the Tennessee Valley Authority offering reliable service and very competitive rates.
- Experienced Workforce: Chemical companies have operated in North Alabama for more than 50 years creating a pool of workers who are experienced in the industry. The industry currently employs more than 5,000 people.